Caring for Our Country Program
Caring for our Country is the Australian Governments new natural resource management initiative. Caring for our Country is designed as an integrated package with one clear goal, a business approach to investment, clearly articulated outcomes and priorities and improved accountability. It will commence on 1 July 2008 and will integrate delivery of the Commonwealth's existing natural resource management programs the:
- Natural Heritage Trust
- National Action Plan for Salinity and Water Quality
- National Landcare Program
- Environmental Stewardship Program; and
- Working on Country Indigenous land and environmental program
Caring for Our Country Program - Open Grants 2008-09 Now Open
Ministers for the Environment, Heritage and the Arts, The Hon Peter Garrett and Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry, The Hon Tony Burke announced on 21 June 2008 the Caring for our Country Open Grants 2008-09.
The Open Grants is a transitional funding component of the Australian Government's new $2.25 billion Caring for our Country initiative. Caring for our Country will invest in actions that achieve long term improvements in six national priority areas:
- a national reserve system;
- biodiversity and natural icons;
- coastal environments and critical aquatic habitats;
- sustainable farm practices;
- natural resource management in remote and northern Australia; and
- community skills, knowledge and engagement.
Funding of up to $25 million is now available in 2008-09 for high quality projects in these six areas, particularly those that will:
- Protect, enhance or restore Australia's biodiversity and natural icons;
- Improve the water quality of our critical aquatic habitats;
- Achieve greater take-up of sustainable farm practices.
The Caring for our Country Open Grants are available for projects between $80 000 and $400 000. They are seeking projects that demonstrate integration and partnerships and can deliver Caring for our Country outcomes.
For more information or application forms please visit the Caring for our Country website or for general enquiries please call the toll free hotline on 1800 065 823.
Applications close at 5pm (AEST) Friday 1 August 2008.